Sunday, October 2, 2016

You Pick Three : Symmetrical Balance, Value, Cubism

          For the second project this year, I was relieved to find out that we had a longer time limit to complete our work. We were required to choose three cards: a principle of art, element of art, and a art movement. My cards happened to be Symmetrical Balance, Value, and Cubism. When I first saw Cubism, I wasn’t that excited, because I don’t really like the Cubism movement and I wasn’t quite sure how to create a photograph in the Cubism style. After doing some investigating on Pinterest, I found this cool looking tutorial on low-poly photography. The whole image was made out of triangles and it looked very complex. I shot a photograph of four tomatoes and went quickly to work. I mainly used Adobe Illustrator to create the triangles and Live Paint; I used PhotoShop only to give the image more contrast and saturation and to make it symmetrical. Since my required element and principle were symmetrical balance and value, I still used other elements and principles within the final piece. I used the following elements of art: shape, color, value, and texture. I used shape, color, and texture in all of the triangles that make up the entire image and value in each individual triangle. Finally, I also used the following principles of art: contrast, pattern, and symmetrical balance. I used contrast in the contrasting colors of the background and the tomatoes and symmetrical balance and pattern in the way I split the image in half, so each side was symmetrical.
          When stepping back and looking at the final photograph as a whole, it is easy to tell what I did well and what I need to improve. I can see that I did a pretty good job making the final image still look like tomatoes, even though the image it totally made up of triangles. When I was finished, I was very surprised by all of the detail that you could still see. I also think that the texture that the triangles made is awesome because it almost makes the image look 3D in some parts. Finally, I think that I did a pretty good job creating a makeshift photo-studio in my living room so I could get the plain background. I just laid a poster on the floor upside-down (so the white back was facing up) and taped another to the side of my couch in front of my living room windows. The lighting was awesome there and I wanted to take advantage of it. When I look at the final image, there is one thing that stands out to me that I think that I could improve. I would have liked to make the triangles more different sizes throughout. In the beginning, I was making the more detailed spaces smaller triangles and the spaces of more solid color larger, but as I kept working, I just wanted to get the triangle making over with (and I think it was making me just a little crazy). If I had more patience, I think it would have looked even better with all of the varying sizes.
          When looking back at my process and the final product, I can confidently say that creating a low-poly image will drive you insane! But all of the time and headaches are worth it to see the end, because the final product looks very cool. I even plan on printing this photograph even larger after critique! Then it will be easier to see all of the different sizes of triangles and all of the detail.


No comments:

Post a Comment